TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS & THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOUR TRIP
(Updated Aug 2023)
PREPARING FOR YOUR TRIP
As you prepare to embark on your upcoming Ritz Tours journey. Please make sure you have all travel documents, passports, and necessary visas ready before you depart for your trip.
CHECKING IN AT THE AIRPORT
Be sure to bring your passport as you will need to present it when checking in at the airport. Please be advised that not all airlines assign seats in advance. Some airlines assign seats at the airport during check-in. We recommend all travelers arrive at the airport and check-in at the airline counter at least 3 hours prior to the flight departure time. You will receive boarding passes at the airline counter when you check in for your flight.
UPON ARRIVAL IN JAPAN
Please go through Customs and Immigrations on your own. After you pick up your luggage, exit the baggage claim area and look for the Ritz Tours representative holding a Ritz Tours flag or sign. Please wear your Ritz Tours badge for easy identification.
Airport Transfers Upon Arrival
Ritz Tours tour guides/airport assistants will wait for arriving tour members outside the airport baggage claim area for up to 90 minutes after the landing time of the tour member's flight before departing from the airport with transportation to the hotel. If for any reason a tour member does not meet the Ritz Tours representative within 90 minutes after the landing time of the tour member's flight, the tour member will be responsible for his or her own transportation from the airport to the hotel, along with all associated expenses.
Airport Transfers (Extended Stay Travelers)
The airport transfer is not included for those extending their stay before or after the tour. Please arrange your own airport transfer to/from the hotel/airport. Hotel accommodations are not included when extending your stay. Extended stay travelers are responsible for arranging accommodations. To purchase hotel accommodations, please advise the Ritz Tours reservation agent.
Upon arrival in Tokyo, a tour guide or representative will provide you with a detailed day-to-day itinerary with transfer schedules for city and optional tours as well as any necessary vouchers required for the trip.
TRAVEL DOCUMENTS & ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
- Passports must be valid for 6 months from the return date of your trip and have at least 1 blank page.
- US Passport holders – No visa required for tourist stays up to 90 days
- Non-US Passport holders – please check with your local Japan consulate for Visa requirements
- All travelers must ensure they are eligible to enter Japan and produce all required entry documentation for this vacation. Requirements and restrictions may depend on different factors including but not limited to: your country of residence, passport nationality, transit points, as well as previous travel history.
- For detailed passport and visa requirements, all travelers are advised to check with the related embassy or consulate.
- Full proof of Covid-19 vaccination is no longer required for Japan. This new protocol will take effect for Japan packages departing on or after July 05, 2023 and is subject to change at any time.
- Visit Japan Web Application: Travelers are recommended to register via email on the Visit Japan Web before arriving in Japan. The obtained QR codes can be presented at immigration and customs on arrival. See more details - here and complete online
- Please note that the information provided in this document is based on the time of print/publication and a country’s requirements can change at any time. It is the responsibility of the traveler to check all updates and obtain all necessary documents and tests prior to departure, as well as entry back into the US. Ritz Tours is not responsible if you are denied entrance for any reason in any country, even if you hold a valid passport and entry visa.
- Baggage allowance for international flights varies by airline and is subject to change at any time. For up-to-date baggage allowance restrictions, please check with the appropriate airline for their latest regulations. Additional baggage charges may apply.
- Please keep in mind within Asia the baggage limitation on all flights varies by airline. Generally, the baggage allowance on domestic flights is limited to 1-checked-in of 44 lbs. and 1 carry-on with a combined total dimension not exceeding 45 inches. Please check directly with the corresponding airline to confirm baggage allowance policies.
Important Luggage Info & Tips:
- Please note, there is no porter service provided throughout your tour. During the tour, please always keep an eye on your personal belongings and valuables. Be aware of your surroundings when going out on your own.
- Baggage is the sole responsibility of the traveler. We recommend using a TSA approved luggage lock and Ritz Tours luggage tags (enclosed) showing the name and contact information of the owner. Baggage without a lock may be refused for transport
- DO NOT pack medicine, valuables, and other personal necessities in checked luggage. Keep these items in your carry-on bag
- Consider packing a change of clothing, a set of undergarments and toiletries in your carry-on bag to avoid inconvenience caused by delays or lost luggage
- Power bank chargers over 20,000 mAh are restricted from carry on and check in luggage
- Power bank mAh capacity must be clearly labeled by the manufacturer on the charger
- Please visit www.tsa.gov for USA carry on restrictions
- No porter service will be provided throughout the tour. During the tour please always keep an eye on your personal belongings and valuables. Be aware of your surroundings when going out on your own.
- Important note: Ritz Tours’ representatives cannot enter the luggage claim area. After you collect your luggage and exit customs, our local Ritz Tours representative will be waiting for you outside with an Ritz Tours flag or sign.
Japanese currency is called Yen. The exchange rate is about 144.50 Yen to 1 US dollar as of July 2023. Most department stores, hotels and restaurants will accept major credit cards such as American Express, Visa, and MasterCard. However, it is more convenient to use cash especially if you are planning to shop and eat in smaller shops.
An important note on tipping - please note gratuities are not included in your tour cost. They are customary and their purpose is to encourage and reward quality service. Our guides greatly appreciate any tips you would like to give them. Our recommended tip amount is $10 USD per person per night.
HEALTH & MEDICAL MATTERS
Medical and vaccination requirements vary between countries and it is important you check with your family doctor or a qualified medical professional for the most up to date travel health information for the region you are visiting. Due to the length of the trip, it is advised you consult your doctor for existing medical/dental conditions before departure It is advised to pack any prescription medicine in your carry on hand luggage. Please make sure prescription medicine is fully labelled. It may also be useful to bring aspirin, over-the-counter medicine for the flu, indigestion, motion sickness, etc. In case of illness during the trip, please immediately notify your tour guide for assistance.
Our Itineraries include city tours and these involve a decent amount of walking. Be prepared for many steps, uneven pavement and walking up steep inclines – comfortable walking shoes with grip are strongly recommended.
Leading hotels in big cities within Japan have two outlets of 110 and 220 volts, but their sockets usually accept two-prong plugs only.
The time difference between major cities in North America and Japan is as below:
Los Angeles & San Francisco + 17 hours
New York + 14 hours
Meals are included in Japan as per itinerary. We regret to inform you that Ritz Tours is unable to confirm any special meal requests as it is based on the availability of the restaurants, hotels, and airlines. Please contact the airlines directly to place special meal requests for your flights. Automatic vending machines are more widespread in Japan than anywhere else in the world. The machines operate 24 hours a day at all rest areas, selling soft drinks, cigarettes, cup noodles, as well as pre-paid telephone cards, and usually accept 10, 50, 100, 500 yen coins (some accept 1,000 yen bills also).
Although Ritz Tours’s national guides will be happy to assist you with any shopping requirements, Ritz Tours does not assume responsibility for any items purchased at shops while on tour. You are never required to purchase any items while on tour and thus must be responsible for your own purchases. Any after sales correspondence must be between the passenger and the shop in question.
CLIMATE & CLOTHING
The weather in Japan is generally mild. Since the nation stretches for over 3,000 km from north to south, the weather varies depending on where and when you travel.
Mar-May Spring – lightweight jackets & sweaters
Jun-Aug Summer – light clothing, short sleeves
Sep-Nov Autumn – lightweight jackets & sweaters
Dec-Feb Winter – Wool and Warm overcoats, suits, sweaters & jackets.
Please note: shoes need to be removed prior to entering temples in Japan. Since the temples have no heater, during winter time, we recommend you to wear warm socks when visiting temples.
Temperature/Rainy Days in Major Cities, Japan
|Spring (Mar-May)||Summer (Jun-Aug)||Autumn (Sep-Nov)||Winter (Dec-Feb)|
|High||T (F)||T (C)||Rainy
|T (F)||T (C)||Rainy
|T (F)||T (C)||Rainy
|T (F)||T (C)||Rainy
USEFUL JAPANESE PHRASES
|How are you?||Ogenki desu ka?|
|I am fine||Genki desu|
|Thank you very much||Arigatou Gozaimasu|
|Good morning||Ohayo Gozaimasu|
|Good evening||Konban wa|
|That looks delicious||Oishii sou|
|How much?||Ikura desu ka?|
|What is this?||Kore wa nan desu ka?|
|Too expensive||Taka sugimasu|
|How do you do?||Hajimemshite|
|I came from America||Amerika kara kimashita|
JAPAN TRAVEL INFO
For detailed Japan travel guides & maps please visit: http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/pdf/
JAPAN EMERGENCY PHONE NUMBER
00 81 0 9079 615144
We’d like to remind all guests to check their local state travel guidelines regarding travel restrictions when arriving from international destinations or other US States, as this may vary state by state.
US State Department
CDC Travel Resources
U.S. Embassy and Consulate in Japan
Our experienced staff of Japan specialists take pride in providing you with the very best in service and planning. Thank you for choosing Ritz Tours as your partner in travel. We are confident your trip will be happy and rewarding!